Tuesday, July 24, 2012

10 Things That Make Me Happy (Part 2)

6. This picture of my little brother and I, taken in the late ‘90s. The height difference is still there, it’s just opposite now.

emandjohn0001


7. My collection of books from my childhood. Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, The Secret Garden,  and Every. Roald. Dahl. Book. Published. They’re all worn and dogeared and some of them literally have been chewed by a dog. I used to reread books if I didn’t go to the library often enough and I swear I read all of them 10 times each. Really. I’m not exaggerating. And I went to the library once a week. I have this super power where I can ignore ANYTHING if I’m reading (including time) so I would read whenever I was sent to my room for punishment. Joke’s on you, Parents. The jig is up.


8. Straws. Preferably stuck in bubble water. I have one cup I love a lot that has a reusable straw (that is BPA free TOO!) so this love is not as bad for the environment as it may seem. Aren’t these vintage-inspired straws fun?


9. My grandmother’s engagement ring. She was married to my grandfather when she was 17, and starting having kids right after (8 in total). The ring is delicate and tiny and the one below from an etsy store with vintage engagement rings reminds me of it. She got a different one later on, and my mother gave me my grandmother’s first ring a few years ago after she passed away. It’s interesting to think about how different our lives are. Sometimes when I’m feeling particularly anti-social when I’m out I put it on my left hand. It’s kind of like wearing a post-it that says “don’t talk to me” on your forehead.

10. A vase full of fresh flowers, which I’ve been trying to keep on hand all summer. My favorite flower is the gardenia, but you can’t really buy those by the stem, so I found a plant down the street (bordering a local dive bar, no less) but I hate that I’m taking them away from everyone else (and their own little flower lives) so I haven’t picked one yet. Instead I’ve been relying on weekly 4-5 dollar bouquets from Trader Joe’s in pinks, purples, and yellows.

Those are my things! What things make you happiest?

P.S. Find the first half of my favorite material things here.

No comments:

Post a Comment